Can You Treat Hormone Imbalances with Acupuncture?
Hormones travel throughout the body overseeing several vital and complex processes related to growth, fertility, and metabolism.
Hormonal Imbalance: An Overview
A hormonal imbalance occurs when the body produces too much or too little of a hormone. Even small hormonal imbalances can affect your sleep cycle, metabolism, reproductive cycle, and sexual function.
Some common symptoms of hormonal imbalances are weight gain, insomnia, low libido, fatigue, and digestive problems. In a study, around 47 percent of women aged 30-60 reported experiencing the symptoms of a hormonal imbalance.
From eating disorders to stress, there are several causes of hormonal imbalances. They have increasingly become common with today’s fast-paced lifestyle.
Many people use acupuncture to restore hormonal balance. A pain acupuncturist in East Bay inserts paper-thin needles into the skin at strategic acupoints in the patient’s body to restore hormonal balance naturally.
Acupuncture is safe and effective. It does not have any major side effects associated with Western medicine approaches. Western medicine focuses primarily on the use of synthetic hormones to balance hormones. Synthetic hormones can elevate the risk of strokes, heart attacks and some types of cancer.
There are no such side effects of acupuncture for hormonal imbalances. An experienced acupuncturist evaluates a person’s condition and qi flow. Based on their findings, they select the appropriate meridians and points for the imbalances diagnosed.
Your acupuncturist will also evaluate your eating habits and diet, and suggest changes if necessary. They may also recommend certain specific exercises and special herbs to restore balance to your qi and the endocrine system.
Benefits of Acupuncture for Hormonal imbalance
- Acupuncture balances cortisol levels. It relieves stress and normalizes stress response. This has a positive impact on hormonal response
- Acupuncture can treat fertility problems due to hormonal imbalances by restoring the body’s natural ability to produce enough sex hormones
- In a study, researchers analyzed the findings of 31 randomized controlled trials. They reported that acupuncture has a regulatory effect on three hormones which can help:
- Reduce FSH (follicle-stimulating hormone) levels
- Alleviate sleeping problems
- Increase estrogen levels
- A 2011 research concluded that acupuncture could help balance follicle-stimulating hormone levels in menopausal women
- A 2018 study involving 30 women reported that acupuncture eased symptoms of polycystic ovarian syndrome
Are you experiencing symptoms of a hormonal imbalance? Anchor Acupuncture & Wellness can help. We are a team of certified pain acupuncturists in East Bay. Our practitioners treat the cause, not just the symptoms. To book an appointment, call 415-855-3112.